So when I first started considering Whole30 I honestly had no idea what I was going to eat. After some pinteresting, I found this recipe for Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie. IT. WAS. SO. GOOD. Since first making it, I’ve adjusted it in a couple of ways and its become a favorite in my family. Without further ado…my sweet potato & turkey casserole.
<strong>Sweet Potato & Turkey Casserole</strong>
A savory and delish dish easy for a quick dinner and great for freezing for later!
-1½ lb. ground turkey
-2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
-1 green pepper, chopped
-1 small onion, chopped
-1-1½ cups sliced mushrooms
-4 cloves garlic, chopped
-½ tsp. herbs de provence
-¾ tsp. chili powder
-¼ tsp. sea salt or to taste
-¼ tsp. black pepper
-6 oz. tomato paste (about one small can)
-4 medium sweet potatoes
-1 Tbsp. coconut oil or butter
-½ tsp chili powder
-¼ tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Begin cooking potatoes until soft and mashable. I poke holes in the sweet potatoes and then microwave them one at a time at 1 min 30 sec increments, rotating them after each interval (usually three turns is perfect). You could also steam or roast them.
- Over medium heat in a large skillet, brown the turkey. Once partially browned add the remaining filling ingredients except the tomato paste.
- Once the carrots are softened, add the tomato paste, stir, and put into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- For the topping, scoop out the potato insides and discard the skins. Mash them until fairly smooth.
- Add remaining topping ingredients and mix well. Spread over the filling in the baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven, and serve while its hot!
I hope you enjoy this!